My Bookshelf

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Let The Author Do The Grinding?

Well, I've got Nightcrawler on the threshold of the printing press and Both Sides Now scheduled for early winter. Only I'm starting to wonder exactly what these editors get paid for.


Nightcrawler, as we recall, is about the exploits of Sabrina Brooks, chemical manufacturing heiress turned vigilante. Black Rose Writing made up a kickass cover and we're just about ready to go. Only we've got a bunch of run-together sentences (e.g. "Who dat?""Who say who dat?") which the formatter failed to space. Now the editor is asking me to make a list for him to go in and correct. Send me the template and I'll do it, I say. No thanks, just send me the list, he replies. You gotta be frickin' kiddin' me!!! No, this is how it's gonna go down. Wish me a joyous Saturday afternoon.



Both Sides Now is a romantic comedy, the story of a Hans Mortier knockoff based on the mid-60's wrestling universe. ETreasures' wunderkind has tossed me a laundry list of nouns, pronouns, adjectives and suffixes that I need to pull out before we proceed, Uh, and exactly what is your job? This is almost unacceptable, but considering I had to go in and format the whole manuscript of The Standard for Tenth Street Press as well as my own Tiara, if you want it done right you got to do it yourself. As the saying goes, if I would've known this I would've picked my own cotton.



At any rate, I'm going to be spending far less time doing exchange reviews and sending out e-mail promos this weekend. As for those editors, anyone know who's hiring? Next to being President of the USA, it's got to be the cushiest job in America.


No comments:

Post a Comment